Why Not Be a Professional Gamer?

You may have already read my blog post about getting a gig at DVS Gaming as a game reviewer/writer.  I first looked at the opportunity as a way to practice writing and bring attention to my author career.  Now that I have entered the world of gaming deeper than I ever have before, I thought, why not take it even further?

-Welcome to the Stream Dream-

My friend Josh, who also writes for DVS, and I decided to take a swing at streaming.  I've got a pretty decent rig and lots of games.  I have got a tentative offer from the bossman to be a DVS streamer when I'm ready.  All things considering, I've got a better foundation to work with than some people do in order to begin streaming.

Now I have absolutely no expectation for it to go anywhere significant.  Any person that loves games and can talk to themselves for hours would like to make a living being a Youtuber, or whatever they call Twitch people.  But I know very well that it's an unrealistic goal, a one in a million chance, something that will take up the time of a full-time job.

I do, however, dream that maybe all of my creative outlets could make me a living someday.  Book royalties, getting paid for my articles someday, and streaming on top of it, maybe that could be a reasonable goal.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket kind of thing.  Besides, I like to have my fingers in lots of pies.  I like to wear many hats.

-Where to Watch the Stream-
Check out my awesome new custom Xbox One controller 
from Xbox Design Lab. So worth panicking about my
finances for December. It was on sale, okay?!


As of today I have ironed out the lag and glitches involved with streaming (I hope) and feel comfortable announcing how you can view my streams.

I stream to Youtube, Twitch, and my Facebook author page all at the same time so you can watch the stream on your preferred platform.  Sometimes, depending on the game and the platform, I may stream exclusive content to only one of these platforms (such as PS4 games will be going to Twitch, and anything I do for DVS will only be on their Facebook page).

I'll give you a heads up when I'm about to stream and when the stream goes live on all my social media platforms.  At this time I don't have a strict schedule when it comes to streaming due to still taking care of my dad, who is recovering from a critical injury.  I stream when I find the time and feel talkative, which can be anywhere from twice a day to once a week.  When life settles down a little more, I will make a more consistent schedule.

-There Will Be Bumps in the Road-

If I am unable to get a good stream due to a really resource intensive game, I may record and upload later, and I'll announce when I do that.  It takes some of the load off so I can make a higher quality product.

I try to monitor the Facebook stream for comments on my audio being too quiet or too loud and whatnot.  I'll say hi if you do!  Once I start to generate an audience or join in with DVS, I'll implement a live chat that I will pay more attention to.

At this time I do not have a webcam, but I will be getting one in the conceivable future.  I'm just a little broke right now and can't afford it.  In addition, there's no current way to donate to me because I'm not worth it yet.   When I think I've gotten this whole thing right and settled into it maybe I'll consider opening up donations.  But I've got to earn it first.

-What I'll Play, What I Won't-

As far as what I will be streaming, it will vary.  I want to regularly stream Magic Arena at least once a week.  I'd love to do a complete lets play of all three Borderlands games.  Josh and I will be streaming Minecraft and some other multiplayer games together probably once a week.

Any game that I find awesome is a possibility.  Games I find awesome are usually PvE related, whether it's survival or campaigns.  What I won't be streaming are those big, popular games that are battle royales, MOBAs, and MMORPGs.  There are some exceptions to those rules, but in general those are the kicks.  I just don't find them fun, and if I'm not having fun, you won't be having fun.

Some games not already mentioned I will definitely play at some point or another, lumped into similar play styles:

  • Don't Starve/Oxygen Not Included
  • Spyro/Crash Bandicoot/Banjo Kazooie
  • Doom/DmC
  • Elder Scrolls
  • Slime Rancher
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Terreria/Stardew Valley
  • And More...
I've already had some successful test streams you can view on Facebook and Youtube.  At this time I have four Magic Arena streams, a small Don't Starve stream, and part 1 of a DmC let's play you can watch right now. There's also some Minecraft streams I did with Josh.

-Shout-Out to All You Awesome People-

Thank you, all friends and viewers who have been patient with my laggy test streams.  I look forward to bringing you modestly entertaining entertainment!

Let's have some fun!


-Dana Lockhart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Weebly!

Fun Facts About The Un-Life (Spoilers)

I’ve Never Won NaNoWriMo, And That’s Okay